My turn to host the book club slash brunch today at noonish. A few may be running late due to Daylight Savings Time. We’ll wait. I’m serving a southwest breakfast bake as the main dish. The rest of the menu is salad and a bowl of fruit. For dessert…brownies, of course. For anyone who doesn’t like chocolate, there’s always a slice of sour orange pie with whipped cream. Oh my.
Grab the ingredients:
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
To make it happen:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange potatoes evenly in bottom of dish. Sprinkle with cheese, green chilies, bell pepper, and scallions.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix well then pour evenly over potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered 55 to 60 minutes, or until center is cooked through and set.